Burton-Katzman has evolved in many ways since Barnett Burton and his wife Fanny reached America from their homeland in Russia at the start of the 20th century. After settling in Detroit, Barnett established the family business in 1912 by building two-story flats with storefronts he leased to retail pioneers like F.W. Woolworth & Co.
Brothers-in-law Lester Burton and Sydney Katzman joined Barnett after the Great Depression to build thousands of houses throughout Suburban Detroit. Their shared innovative spirit became of the driving force behind Burton-Katzman’s long history of firsts as they ultimately expanded their base to include the development and construction of major commercial, industrial and master planned communities.
In the 1980s, cousins Peter Burton and Robert Katzman joined the family business and assembled a diverse team of innovative real estate professionals who have continued to enhance the future and to drive change in the real estate industry for nearly four more decades.